Friday, July 02, 2004

Any Other Allegiance?

In this article, the author testifies that her conscience wouldn't allow her to continue attending this new rebellious church of which she was a part. I commend her for her decision. She acted not upon feeling, but upon the Holy Spirit's conviction.

However, it brings to mind a question. How much are we to be committed to the church fathers and our church history? Shouldn't our allegiance be to Christ alone? If a church deviates from the scripture, what is our part? To help bring them back to scripture, I believe. But what if the issue isn't about basic tenets of the Christian faith?

My point and question is this: what should be our devotion to our church, in the sense of a local body of believers, and then to the greater church (denomination, association, etc.)?

Ephesians 1:22-23
And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.

1 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that it's great that there are churches out there that are a little more exciting than our ancestors churches, but I think that they walk a fine, fine line if they start distorting what the bible really says. I know of a church in San Francisco that openly "accepts" homosexuals and their beliefs; I can't say that I agree with that. If it's going to be a "funky" church, they shouldn't get funky with what the truth is in the bible.

SGF

 

Post a Comment

<< Home