Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thanksgiving Verses

In Philippians 4:10-13, Paul says that he learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I believe that one technique he used to learn such peace is described in the previous verses:
Philippians 4:4-7;
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
We can't understand it, but if we thank God for all of the things happening in our life (good and bad) then we will experience His peace.

This is a wonderful promise -- and quite a challenge!

What are some other examples of verses about how to become more content?

3 Comments:

At 12:22 AM, Blogger Weekend Fisher said...

My own favorite is the "prayer of the righteous man" late in Proverbs:

Two things I ask of you, O LORD; do nto refuse me before I die.
Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say 'Who is the LORD?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God. (Proverbs 30:7-9)

Which is right neighboring to one of the more interesting mentions of Christ in the OT (Proverbs 30:4), while you're in the neighborhood.

Take care & God bless
WF

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about one of the chapters and verses in Psalms 119 that talks about how we as human beings are fearfully and wonderfully made in God's image and glory? I've always favored that one!

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Contentment is not living beyond our needs. Be thankful every day for the simple things in life health, fresh air, a meal our family. So many things we often take for granted. God is faithful to us by providing us with all these things ......I think it is enough to be thankful for

 

Post a Comment

<< Home