Thursday, June 22, 2006

Our own understanding

Proverbs 3:5-7 says:

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;

6 in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.

7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;
fear the LORD and shun evil.

I think this warning applies to our Biblical understanding as well. While the Word of God is absolute truth, unfortunately our understanding of it is not so absolute.

Sometimes God tells us to do things that we do not understand. In Numbers 21:8 for example, God directed Moses to make a snake and put it up on a pole. On the surface, this appears to be a direct violation of one of the ten commandments. We get a more complete understanding of the meaning of this event in John 3:14

Certainly the pharisees had a understanding of the bible. They where so attached to their own understanding that they missed out on experiencing a relationship with God as he walked and taught on this earth.

I have come to believe that prayerless obedience is not really obedience at all. James 1:5 says "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." If we are not constantly asking for God's wisdom, are we not "Wise in our own eyes"?

As we humble ourselves and pray for His wisdom, we do "acknowledge Him".


2 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trust is a very big issue for me. I've been hurt, lied to, and deceived so often in my life, I even struggle to trust God with all my heart. I want to, though, because through Him, all things are possible, right? And if I ask, through God's will, I will receive, right? Amen! But I guess it is also legalistic when we rely on our own understanding, too, huh? But here is what I don't understand about the Bible: I know that it is God's Word and all, and it should not be disobeyed in any way, shape, or form, so how come it tells me what to do, but it won't explain to me how to do it or what some of the Scripture and verses mean? Still another reason why I struggle to do the right thing!

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I appreciate these comments so much. I think we definitely need the Holy Spirit's guidance in determining God's will for each moment.....and yes, I do believe He'll speak to us through the Spirit if we ask, and then listen...thank you for sharing. So for me this means I spend time regularly asking for His guidance, reading His word, listening, waiting on Him.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home