Friday, November 19, 2004

Apathy

The opposite of love is not hate -- it is apathy.

1 John 3:10
"This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother."

Ignorance and Apathy - the bane of Western Christianity. Many don't know and don't care.

But what marks a Christian?

Love for God and love for others. Let's buck the trend of Christian nihilism. It just doesn't fit. We are made to serve one another.

Mark 10:45
"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

As you are going, do the same.

4 Comments:

At 5:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on... i heard that statement 2 weeks ago and it is so true in this world. Hate can easily be turned to love or vice versa. But if we don't care in the first place what is going to make us sit up and take notice. Without emotions we tend to not take it to heart. So God Bless and thanks for the encouragement.

Becky in Germany

 
At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys should post more often, I always like what you have to say!

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Bert said...

I hear you, Roger. This is true, and goes deeper into the issue.

James 2:16

If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?

I need to chew on this awhile.

 
At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I am usually one of those "live and let live" kind of people, meaning mind your own business, let others do and believe what they want because they will anyway, and don't impose your beliefs on others because if they want your help, support, or advice they will ask for it, it doesn't necessarily mean that I don't care and don't want to do good for others. I like to help those in need, and I try to do it as often as I can. I feel good, and I know that I am doing God's work in the process. In fact, this past Saturday (October 6, 2007), I packed 3 bags worth of stuff to donate to a nearby organization that helps the poor and the needy in their area. As soon as my dad is ready and able, he will drive me over to that organization and help me drop off those bags. But sometimes I do feel apathy, though, and it's only because I often become frustrated and depressed and just feel like giving up and not caring anymore. But, of course, I don't give up, because God always gives me a good reason to pick myself up, dust myself off, and keep going no matter how tough life seems to get for me. The pity party is now over, and the guests have all been kicked out and sent home. I don't want a heart of stone. I want a heart of flesh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home